It’s winter time for many of us around the world, especially in the United States, which means that the dry skin is coming back out to haunt us yet again. Your skin may not appear quite as luminous and healthy as it does during the summertime, it may be red, flakey, and even painful. While there are tons of moisturizers on the market, it’s often difficult to find a single magical moisturizer that does the trick and takes all of these symptoms away overnight. How familiar does this sound? You purchase one moisturizer for the daytime, to wear under makeup of course. Then you purchase a separate moisturizer for regular nights in the summertime and yet another moisturizer for the wintertime when your skin is really flared up and needs an extra dose of moisture. That’s not even counting all of the facial oils that you see in the stores or all the beauty vloggers raving about. It can all be so confusing. Where do you even begin to start? Well, I’ll tell you what I’ve been doing for the past year that has worked perfectly for me and helped me wake up every morning with the baby-soft, healthy skin that we all desire during the roughest time of the year. Maybe, just maybe, this will work for you too! What do I do? I customize my own magical treatment for my specific dry skin. To be honest, there is not a “one size fits all” moisturizer for everybody. We are all different and have different needs. So while your favorite beauty vlogger may have a ton of recommendations, it’s time to rethink what you’re purchasing and consider customizing something even better that will work for YOU, not just for them!
It’s very easy to do, and you can customize a solution that you can use in the morning versus a separate solution that you use just at night, if you prefer. It’s not necessary, but the options are limitless. Once you get started, you’ll get addicted and you won’t look at regular moisturizers and vlogger recommendations the same again. Most likely, you already have most of the things you need to make the perfect customized solution. If not, I’ll provide some low-cost options to get you started that will last a very long time! I’ll show you how to put them all together to make the magical solution so you can wake up with baby-soft skin in the morning and feel great all day long! This isn’t a blog where I’ll just recommend mixing a lot of moisturizers together. It’s much more than that, and you’ll be thankful to try this method, as well as the results you receive from it. It also reduces the amount of time you spend on applying your products in the end.
Keep in mind that these are my recommendations. Customize this to your own special needs and skin type. This works perfectly for me, but you may not be able to tolerate some of the essential oils or I may not have alternatives for some of the higher-cost products. Do whatever you need to do to make this the perfect solution for YOU! That’s the key!
Before we get started, it’s important to keep in mind that this will be the very last step in your nightly skincare routine. Always cleanse your skin first, apply your acids if you use them (i.e., Lotion P50, glycolic acid, whatever your choice is), then apply any serums and let those sink in. Your moisturizer should be the very last step AFTER all of those things have had time to sink into your skin and dry. Skincare should always be applied in the following order to be effective: thinnest to thickest.
Basic Essentials Before You Start
There’s a couple of tools that you’ll need before you get started with any of this. They’re cheap and easily accessible via Amazon. Don’t skip these. It’s important to be hygienic and doesn’t contaminate the customized formula that you make. Otherwise, you will compromise your ingredients, they will break down fast, the formula won’t last very long, and it can actually cause you to experience skin issues such as acne and other bacterial infections. It’s not worth it!
- I recommend purchasing these small plastic jars from Beauticom on Amazon that are BPA-free. They come in a set of 12 and are currently just $9.99 on Amazon Prime. They hold 30 ml/30 gms. I prefer these because they are frosted white (not completely see-thru), they have a sealer tab so that you can keep the contents fresh underneath the top, and the contents don’t leak out. These are the perfect size to miz enough customized moisturizer for a week, 2 weeks, or even month depending on how much you apply. They can be used for many other purposes as well, such as holding medications, ointments, etc. They also make them in other colors, if you prefer. Just don’t purchase something completely clear or else it will degrade the contents much quicker.
- I recommend purchasing these hygienic spatulas so you’re not digging your fingers into everything and contaminating what you create. I purchased this set of 100 Disposable Plastic Spatulas from Beautycom. Again, they have different colors available. It really doesn’t matter what color you select. I noticed the white ones that I have aren’t currently available under Prime delivery, but they only cost $7.99 for the 100. I’ve been using the same container for the past year and haven’t even come close to running out. You won’t use them every day, so they’ll last a very long time unless you use them daily for other skincare/product uses. Don’t try to be cheap and wash and reuse them. Just toss them out. They’re so cheap, and its critical that you keep the contents of your products hygienic.
The Basic Ingredients – The Moisturizers
I start by mixing a variety of different moisturizers that I’ve already purchased. You don’t have to use these exact moisturizers, but there’s a few that I will recommend that you use, especially if you have super dry skin issues. It’s worth it to invest in a few of these, while others may be optional, and you can mix in your own favorite solutions. Always use a spatula when digging into your moisturizer jar. Don’t use your fingers. I’ll start by listing some of my favorites and the things I consider necessities (which I’ll note with a star symbol *).
- L’Oréal Paris Revitalift Triple Power Intensive Anti-Aging Day Cream Moisturizer Hyaluronic 1.7 oz *- It’s cheaper to purchase this on Amazon typically versus a drugstore, even with coupons. This is a key ingredient. If you look on my Instagram page (further down the screen), you will see before and after photos of when I used this moisturizer alone for just 2 weeks. The results of my using this moisturizer was stunning, when used alone, must less combined with others. Its a MUST HAVE, and it’s currently around $15 or so on Amazon. Scoop out a very decent sized amount of this product and put it into the Beautycon plastic jar.
- Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Cream * – Ceramidin Cream is a must-have for anyone with dry skin and is highly recommended by many in the beauty community. It’s no secret that it should be one of the absolute necessary ingredients to add into your customized cocktail for dry skin. Don’t leave this one out unless you’ve already tried it and had a negative experience for some reason. Dr. Jart is a Korean skincare brand that is very highly respected. Be VERY careful not to use too much of this. It honestly doesn’t take much at all, not near the amount of the L’Oreal Revitalift that you added earlier. I literally use a trial size version and squeeze a very small amount into my plastic Beautycon jar.
- Dr. Jart + Ceramidin Liquid * – It may seem like overkill, but trust me, it’s not. Again, it doesn’t take much of this. I squeezed about 4 – 5 drops into my Beautycon jar. I purchased the trial set of this on Sephora, where you get the Cream and Liquid both, but I also own the full sized version of both products and use them regularly on my own even when I’m not mixing my own formula.
- IT Cosmetics Confidence in a Jar *- I’ll call this optional, although I highly recommend giving this a try and adding it to your mix. It was developed by plastic surgeons and is formulated for all skin types. It’s an excellent anti-aging moisturizer but also a wonderful moisturizer filled with skin-loving ingredients for everyone. It’s one of IT Cosmetics highest ratest products, and that’s for a reason. I purchase mine from QVC typically because I get better deals when I buy IT Cosmetics in bundle deals. QVC also offers Easy Pay options frequently, which means when you pay using a major credit card, they will split your payments into several monthly payments, while shipping you the product immediately. As of the time this article is being published, it’s available on 3 Easy Payments of $16. It makes it much more affordable! It’s also available on Sephora and Ulta. It’s a little pricey on its own at around $48 a jar, but it lasts a really long time, especially when you combine it into a customized formula. Grab a spatula full of this and add it to your Beautycon jar.
- Belif Moisturizing Bomb *– Belif Moisturizing Bomb is yet another very popular moisturizer which is fine on its own in the summertime or in the morning, but when used alone for dry skin, it doesn’t quite do the trick for me. Be sure not to get the Belif Aqua Bomb because it’s a much lighter cream that won’t be nearly as effective. I recommend the Aqua Bomb as a morning moisturizer under makeup, but not at night. The Belif Moisturizing Bomb is $38 at Sephora. It is available in a mini size, but I recommend making the full investment and getting the large jar. It will last a while, especially when combining it with other moisturizers. Again, use your spatula and scoop out a healthy amount to put into your Beautycon jar.
- Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream – This is completely optional, but if you can afford it or grab a sample, you’ll love the effect that it adds to your customized solution. It’s very slippery and feels great on the skin. Peter Thomas Roth makes some of the best skincare products there are, but they’re highly under-rated. This is filled with hyaluronic acid. If you cannot afford this or do not wish to spend the money on this product, I have another perfect solution for you that will be much more cost-effective later on. This moisturizer has a price tag of $52, so that’s why I cant make this a required moisturizer, even though I personally love it. Its available at Sephora and Ulta.
- Lancome Energie De Vie – This is completely optional. You may be able to find samples somewhere, just enough to put a little into your mixture (i.e., Sephora or the counter at Macy’s). This moisturizer is an energizing, water-infused moisturizing cream that leaves your skin feeling energized and looking revitalized for an instant dewy glow. It’s great for all skin types and is great to treat dry skin, dullness, uneven texture, and uneven skin tone. Again, not a necessity, but try to grab a sample somewhere and add to your solution to see how it works for you.
This is the end of the moisturizer section. As I mentioned previously, feel free to add any other moisturizers that work well for you and your specific skin. I wouldn’t skimp on the suggestions that I marked as a favorite unless you have already tried them and don’t like them or have had a reaction to them. Add and subtract as you see fit, and use whatever is already in your supply closet. However, we’re not done yet, because there are more ingredients to add that will give all of this an extra boost and give it the magic your skin desires. It’s critical that you don’t skip the next step. Before adding the next ingredients, be sure to mix all of the above moisturizers with your spatula. Mix them all together and make sure your jar isn’t’ already overflowing because there’s more to add.
Final Ingredients – Facial Oils (The Magic)
The first few facial oils that I recommend are not oils that I would skip at all. Even if you have tried them alone and didn’t like them, the power of them working together with the moisturizers will have an entirely different effect…. unless, of course, you’ve had a negative reaction (in which case, please skip accordingly).
- The Ordinary 100% Cold-Pressed Virgin Marula Oil * – This is definitely a must-have. It’s not necessary whatsoever for you to go out and spend a fortune on the Drunk Elephant version. I have both, and I don’t even use the Drunk Elephant oil. I find that they’re pretty much the same thing, except the packaging, and The Ordinary is much more cost-effective at just under $10 for a bottle. Wow! And the best part is that The Ordinary products have recently come to Sephora online! Can’t beat that. There are now 3 primary ways you can buy it. You can purchase it from Beautylish, Sephora (currently out of stock), or directly from Deciem’s website (its most often available on Deciem, whereas it tends to sell out more quickly elsewhere). It works, and it’s one of the best oils available! Use a FULL dropper-full of this and add it to your Beautycon container filled with moisturizer. Then blend all together.
- Fresh Seaberry Moisturizing Face Oil * – This is another must-have facial oil. I recommend this product year-round, whether you mix it or wear it alone. It’s one of those facial oils that can be worn under makeup and will sink in without leaving a greasy residue (the Marula Oil is the same way in terms of lack of greasiness, by the way). This is a little more costly at $52 a bottle for 1.6 fluid ounces, but I’ve been using the same bottle for almost over a year at this point. You can purchase it directly from Sephora.
- Mrs. Potter’s Facial Oil Blend No. 1 – This is an oil you probably haven’ heard of. I learned about it while watching the Marcus Lemonis show called The Profit, where he goes in and invests in small businesses that need his help. You may have heard of Monica Potter the actress, and that’s the same person who owns this business. She is an actress that played in the movie Patch Adams, if you recall. Well, this particular facial oil has been an amazing game changer for me, although it’s not readily available everywhere. It can only be purchased at Monica Potter Homes website. If you can’t afford the Fresh Seaberry Moisturizing Face Oil, give this a try. It’s only $22 for 1 fluid ounce, and it contains the key ingredient in the Fresh Seaberrry product – Sea Buckthorn Oil. It also contains a selection of other oils including the following: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Hippophae Rhamnoids (Sea Buckthorn) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium) Oil, Jasminium Officinale (Jasmine) Oil. While you get more product in the Fresh Seaberry Face Oil, you may not be able to spend the $52, so this is the perfect option. I use BOTH at the same time!!!! I put at least 1 – 2 dropper fulls of this product into my Beautycon moisturizer jar. Mix together.
- Lancome Absolue Precious Oil – This is definitely NOT required, as the price tag rules it out for the majority of the consumer market base. I was able to find it on sale for 1/2 off on HSN one day, or else I wouldn’t own it myself. It’s regularly $185 for 1 fluid ounce. However, great facial oils will often be very expensive, while others can be produced with a less-costly price tag such as those from The Ordinary (The Ordinary is an exception to the general rule regarding face oils). If you absolutely want to try this, grab it on HSN when it’s on Flex Pay. Even better, they often offer 20% off coupons for regular coupons, and I would wait for one of those coupons to try it. So why is this oil so expensive? It’s FILLED with essential oils, not filler oils. It combines Rose Essential Oil and 7 Botanical Oils. According to Lancome, by combining their varied properties, Lancôme has found the perfect blend to nurture and revitalize the skin, reviving its radiance and beauty. Absolue Precious Oil1 reinforces the skin’s barrier function, helping to maintain moisture. Radiant skin is unveiled, softer and suppler. I personally LOVE this oil but realize it’s not realistic for everyone.
- Timeless Hyaluronic Acid Pure – Finally, something that everyone can afford! Depending on what size you purchase, a bottle can last you for over a year, even if you slather it on your entire body, face, neck, arms, etc. Don’t just use this when making your customized moisturizer. Use this morning and night as a serum. It absorbs quickly and is a miracle worker for people with dry skin. It is definitely THE best ingredient and the best thing you can add to your skincare regimen for dry skin. This is a serum. Don’t let the title “acid” fool you. It’s not a typical acid or anything that will strip your skin. Instead, it contains 1000x it’s weight in water, filling your dry skin with moisture. The Timeless Skincare brand is one that I wholeheartedly support. I use many of their products. They are very cost-effective and highly effective, especially their Vitamin C 20% Ferulic Acid product, which is a different topic altogether. There are currently 3 different sizes of the Hyaluronic Acid you can purchase. Timeliness Skincare often runs sales, such as recently (during most major holidays), where if you put $75 of products in your cart, they have coupon codes that will take 50% off the total price. Subscribe to their Instagram page, and follow it frequently for details. When they run these sales, I stock up on literally EVERYTHING! Of course, even without a coupon, everything they make is incredibly affordable. They also offer FREE US shipping! Following are the 3 sizes and price options available:
- 1 ounce for $8.95.
- 2 ounces for $13.95
- 8 ounces refill jar for just $39.95. Seriously! 8 ounces! It’s HUGE! I use this everywhere and for everything!
Anyhow, I apply one full pump (of the 8 ounce bottle) into my Beautycon container, mix it together, and that’s when I’M DONE!!!
While this may sound a bit overwhelming, it’s not…., especially when you get used to it. It goes by very quickly. The amount of product that I make at one time usually lasts 2 – 3 weeks or more, depending on how much I apply at night and if I carry it down to my neck and hands (which I usually do). For this particular mixture of ingredients, I only use it at nighttime, because it’s too thick to absorb and wear under makeup during the day. However, the same concept can apply if you want to customize a formula for daytime use. Just use lighter moisturizers and fewer oils, and don’t forget to label your jars so you’ll know which day versus night.
Enjoy customizing your own magical formula, and be sure to come back and tell me how it works for you! You’ll become addicted once you start playing around with customizing your skincare regimen. The only caution I’ll mention is not to make too much at once or else be sure to use whatever you make within a month. Otherwise, the various oils in the container can start degrading and losing their effectiveness. It shouldn’t happen quickly since you have the Beautycon topper to help seal in the ingredients, but it’s still a huge recommendation. This is why I recommend the smaller 30-ounce containers and not anything bigger when mixing ingredients together. I can’t wait to hear your thoughts and feedback. If you have personal suggestions that I haven’t mentioned here and that works great for you, be sure to let me know. We’re all here to help each other!
Affiliate Link Disclaimer: This blog is 100% non-sponsored, i.e., I am not paid by any company to promote any products here or elsewhere. There are a few affiliate links listed below. The Amazon links are NOT affiliated. Actually, many of the links are not affiliate links while a few are. If you choose to use any affiliate links, I truly appreciate it, as every penny helps and goes right back into supporting the costs of this blog. It’s very costly to purchase makeup and skincare products, plus pay the expenses of a website and all the photography. I pay for 99% of the products that I review. It keeps me honest and trustworthy!
If you have comments, questions, or feedback, please comment below or head over to my Instagram page and join the conversation there!